updated for the 21st century this could mean:
- Nationalising the dead horse
- Re-aligning the organizational aims to better fit the needs of the dead horse. Giving dead horse and rider a good bollocking (a favourite in previous centuries too).
- Re-structuring the dead horse's reward scale to contain a performance-related element (obviously..)
- Suspending the horse's access to the executive grassy meadow until it improves its attitude and makes good all productivity shortfalls.
- Finding a mentor or buddy for the dead horse.
- Examining the cost-savings accruing from de-skilling the dead horse function.
- Outsourcing the management and/or the riding of the dead horse to a specialist dead horse management company